LARGE TEXT BOX Tool to enlarge text.


Select a button to change the background color on this page.



Money available for Families whose children lost SSI

If your child had been on SSI as of August of 1996 and was cut off of SSI in 1997 because Social Security said he or she was not disabled (not because Social Security said you made too much money or had too much in assets), you have the opportunity to get your child’s SSI back! All you have to do is go to your local Social Security Office and tell them you want to appeal the cut off of your child’s SSI. Take in the cut-off notice if you still have it or your child’s Social Security number if you don’t. If you can’t get to your Social Security Office, call them on the phone (the number is in the blue pages of your phone book under “Government Offices-United States”.

If you haven’t already appealed the cut-off of your child’s SSI, Social Security will give (or mail) you a form to fill out and sign called a “Request for Reconsideration”. Once that is filled out, signed and returned to Social Security, they will start your child’s SSI checks again and will pay you the checks that you missed from when your child’s SSI was stopped! You will not have to explain why you didn’t appeal before and there is very little chance that you will have to pay the money back, even if you lose the appeal.

For families living in Philadelphia, call 981-3756 for help getting a lawyer after you file your appeal. For families living in other counties, call 1-888-712-0128 for help getting a lawyer after you file your appeal. The opportunity to file an appeal and get back money will end sometime in February so act now, before its too late.

David Gates
PA Health Law Project

Prepared by the Pennsylvania Health Law Project

Return to Legislative Update